By Rodney Stark
during this lovely, strong, and finally persuasive publication, Rodney Stark, probably the most very hot sociologists of faith and bestselling writer of The upward push of Christianity (HarperSanFrancisco 1997) argues that a few of our such a lot firmly held rules approximately historical past, rules that paint the Catholic Church the least bit confident mild are, actually, fiction. Why have we held those wrongheaded rules so strongly and for therefore lengthy? And if our ideals are incorrect, what, actually, is the truth?
In every one bankruptcy, Stark takes on a well-established anti-Catholic delusion, offers a desirable background of the way each one fantasy turned the traditional knowledge, and offers a startling photo of the genuine fact. For example,
- Instead of the Spanish Inquisition being an anomaly of torture and homicide of blameless humans persecuted for “imaginary” crimes equivalent to witchcraft and blasphemy, Stark argues that not just did the Spanish Inquisition spill little or no blood, however it used to be a big strength in help of moderation and justice.
- Instead of Pope Pius XII being apathetic or maybe valuable to the Nazi flow, akin to to advantage the name, “Hitler’s Pope,” Stark exhibits that the crusade to hyperlink Pope Pius XII to Hitler used to be initiated by way of the Soviet Union, most likely in hopes of neutralizing the Vatican in post-World struggle II affairs. Pope Pius XII used to be generally praised for his full of life and committed efforts to saving Jewish lives in the course of the war.
- Instead of the darkish a while being understood as a millennium of lack of expertise and backwardness encouraged through the Catholic Church’s energy, Stark argues that the full suggestion of the “Dark a long time” was once an act of satisfaction perpetuated via anti-religious intellectuals who have been decided to say that theirs used to be the period of “Enlightenment.”
In the tip, readers won't in basic terms have a extra actual heritage of the Catholic Church, they'll come to appreciate why it grew to become unfairly maligned for therefore lengthy. Bearing fake Witness is a compelling and sobering account of the way egotism and beliefs frequently interact to provide us a fake truth.
Read or Download Bearing False Witness: Debunking Centuries of Anti-Catholic History PDF
Similar history & culture books
To compete successfully in electronic company markets, you want to know the way the legislation impacts your electronic know-how business.
The contents contain unique undeniable English enterprise and felony assistance on:
* highbrow estate for electronic Business
* electronic agreement Fundamentals
* Open Source
* improvement and Consulting
* software program as a Service
* software program Licensing and Distribution
* internet and web Agreements
* electronic Multimedia content material and Distribution
* IT Standards
* net and cellular expertise and content material Deals
* online game Deals
* foreign Distribution
* criminal Affairs Management
* kinds Appendix within the e-book and downloadable on-line 38 pattern types for bargains and transactions and for the Web
The content material is going from the fundamentals to complex themes akin to off-shoring, anti-circumvention, open resource company types, user-created content material, opposite engineering, cellular media distribution, net and video game improvement, mash-ups, net widgets, and vastly multiplayer games.
This ebook is designed to empower you to:
* comprehend the interplay among legislations, cash and technology
* receive and make the most a portfolio of IP assets
* construct and toughen confident relationships with different companies
* Leverage your technologies
* deal with dangers in markets with many uncertainties
* Make higher bargains and shut offers extra quickly
* Act extra decisively and optimistically in felony matters
This publication will make you a lot smarter approximately recognizing matters, perceiving danger, pondering strategically, environment priorities and utilizing felony prone successfully and successfully. this can be the main entire layperson's e-book at the subject.
* A "need-to-know" felony spouse for these competing in electronic enterprise markets within the US and round the world
* issues out the connection among felony matters and company ideas, wishes and goals
* according to 15 years of criminal perform in all elements of electronic, IT, software program and desktop legislations
This specialist memoir describes RAND's contributions to the evolution of machine technological know-how, really in the course of the first a long time following global struggle II, while electronic pcs succeeded slide principles, mechanical table calculators, electrical accounting machines, and analog pcs. The memoir contains pictures and vignettes that show the collegial, artistic, and sometimes playful spirit during which the groundbreaking learn was once carried out at RAND.
Men named Steve, operating in a storage, created a prototype computing device designed to be diversified in a fashion nobody notion attainable: it'd be effortless to exploit. these Steves, one now a billionaire and nonetheless on the head of Apple, not just succeeded with that product, yet in addition they broke flooring within the company international in methods few notion attainable: They proved you couldn't merely celebrate at paintings, yet pursuing a capitalist dream may be hip.
A clean exploration of Paul's actions in the course of the hidden years of his lifestyles, from his conversion in Damascus to his widely used ministry within the publication of Acts. With an unparalled wealth of historic fabric and a reconsideration of Paul's personal writings, a brand new photo of Paul's existence emerges.
- Families in the New Testament World
- The Bible and the People
- MisReading America: Scriptures and Difference
- Early Rabbinic Judaism: Historical Studies in Religion, Literature and Art
- Holy Misogyny: Why the Sex and Gender Conflicts in the Early Church Still Matter
- Into the World of the New Testament: Greco-Roman and Jewish Texts and Contexts
Extra resources for Bearing False Witness: Debunking Centuries of Anti-Catholic History
But just as Christian intolerance was greatly heightened by the conflicts with Islam involving the Crusades, so, too, did these conflicts result in similar outbursts in Islam. In Grenada alone, thousands of Jews were massacred late in the eleventh century,69 a fact that goes unmentioned in the many historical accounts of “glorious” Grenada. 70 The Eleventh Commandment When all is said and done, the most compelling question about the Church and anti-Semitism may not be why Christians sometimes attacked the Jews, but why they tolerated them at all.
No Jews were permitted to reside in these areas again until the middle of the nineteenth century! The eviction of the Rhineland Jews was not the doing of the Church as is evident in the fact that large Jewish communities remained scattered across the rest of Germany. Keep in mind, too, that when Jews were expelled elsewhere, as from England (1290), France (1306), and Spain (1492), this was done as the work of secular authorities, not at the urging of the Church. But if the Church stood as a barrier to attacks on the Jews of Europe, it did collaborate in many forms of discrimination against them.
In part because they are so mutually reinforcing and deeply embedded in our common culture that it seems impossible for them not to be true. One easily assumes that in our “enlightened” times, surely these claims would have been rejected long ago if they were false. I confess that when I first encountered the claim that not only did the Spanish Inquisition spill very little blood but that it mainly was a major force in support of moderation and justice, I dismissed it as another exercise in outlandish, attention-seeking revisionism.