By William Sims Bainbridge
This wealthy two-volume reference offers the historical past and present kingdom of analysis for a vast diversity of subject matters. Written by way of specialists within the box, the articles are long; however the content material is directed towards informed basic readers and should be invaluable to undergraduate scholars. The extensive issues of equipment, demanding situations, interfaces, parts, breakthroughs, and methods are addressed in articles on such themes as avatars, browsers, information mining, electronic funds, embedded platforms; electronic divide, hackers, id authentication, privateness, protection, and viruses; fly-by-wire, haptics, multiuser interfaces, olfactory interplay, and clever houses; WYSIWYG, N- grams, fonts, Braille, and peer-to-peer structure; Altair, Alto, Arpanet, and ENIAC; and ethics, job research, and web design. each one article concludes with an inventory of references. Appendices contain a bibliography, a word list, and a listing of books, videos, and different well known media representations of HCI. nearly all of the a hundred seventy five participants are lecturers within the US; editor Bainbridge is with the nationwide technology starting place. Annotation c2004 e-book information, Inc., Portland, OR"
Read or Download Berkshire Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction PDF
Best history & culture books
To compete successfully in electronic company markets, you must know the way the legislation impacts your electronic know-how business.
The contents comprise specified undeniable English enterprise and felony information on:
* highbrow estate for electronic Business
* electronic agreement Fundamentals
* Open Source
* improvement and Consulting
* software program as a Service
* software program Licensing and Distribution
* internet and net Agreements
* electronic Multimedia content material and Distribution
* IT Standards
* net and cellular know-how and content material Deals
* game Deals
* overseas Distribution
* felony Affairs Management
* types Appendix within the ebook and downloadable on-line 38 pattern types for bargains and transactions and for the Web
The content material is going from the fundamentals to complex subject matters equivalent to off-shoring, anti-circumvention, open resource company versions, user-created content material, opposite engineering, cellular media distribution, internet and video game improvement, mash-ups, net widgets, and hugely multiplayer games.
This ebook is designed to empower you to:
* comprehend the interplay among legislation, funds and technology
* receive and make the most a portfolio of IP assets
* construct and strengthen optimistic relationships with different companies
* Leverage your technologies
* deal with dangers in markets with many uncertainties
* Make larger offers and shut offers extra quickly
* Act extra decisively and hopefully in criminal matters
This e-book will make you a lot smarter approximately recognizing concerns, perceiving possibility, pondering strategically, environment priorities and utilizing criminal companies successfully and successfully. this can be the main complete layperson's publication at the subject.
* A "need-to-know" felony spouse for these competing in electronic enterprise markets within the US and round the world
* issues out the connection among criminal matters and enterprise innovations, wishes and goals
* according to 15 years of criminal perform in all points of electronic, IT, software program and machine legislation
This specialist memoir describes RAND's contributions to the evolution of machine technology, relatively throughout the first a long time following international battle II, whilst electronic desktops succeeded slide principles, mechanical table calculators, electrical accounting machines, and analog desktops. The memoir contains images and vignettes that exhibit the collegial, artistic, and sometimes playful spirit within which the groundbreaking examine was once performed at RAND.
Men named Steve, operating in a storage, created a prototype computing device designed to be diversified in a manner not anyone proposal attainable: it'd be effortless to take advantage of. these Steves, one now a billionaire and nonetheless on the head of Apple, not just succeeded with that product, yet additionally they broke floor within the enterprise global in methods few concept attainable: They proved you couldn't basically rejoice at paintings, yet pursuing a capitalist dream might be hip.
A clean exploration of Paul's actions throughout the hidden years of his existence, from his conversion in Damascus to his normal ministry within the booklet of Acts. With an unparalled wealth of ancient fabric and a reconsideration of Paul's personal writings, a brand new photograph of Paul's existence emerges.
- Cyberthreats: The Emerging Fault Lines of the Nation State
- Research Handbook on Electronic Commerce Law
- The Book of Jubilees: Rewritten Bible, Redaction, Ideology and Theology
- Data Protection and Compliance in Context
- CyberLaw: The Law of the Internet
- Holy Misogyny: Why the Sex and Gender Conflicts in the Early Church Still Matter
Additional info for Berkshire Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction
A typical example is hammering: The nondominant hand holds the nail and the dominant hand operates the hammer cooperatively, with reference to the non-dominant hand. Multiple-Degrees-of-Freedom Input For three-dimensional interfaces such as an immersive or a desktop virtual reality system, users need at least 6 degrees of freedom to be able to fully manipulate an object (x, y, z, pitch, yaw, roll). Various 6 DOF devices have been developed, from free-moving (in the air) devices that are typically based on electromagnetic sensors relative to a base, to stationary force-sensitive devices.
Five parameters of the ellipse were calculated: the x- and ycoordinates of the center, the lengths of the major and minor axis, and the orientation of the major axis. As the hand moved and changed its location and shape, the 5 parameters changed and were used to control the synthesized music. All in all, it was a celebration worthy of HAL. Thomas S. Huang confuses the garbage collector. A question about his mother causes him to murder the psychologist. The garbage collector is one of a half-dozen replicant (human-appearing) robots that have escaped and are being hunted for destruction.
815–818) Seattle, WA. Rabiner, L. , & Juang, B. H. (1986,). An introduction to hidden Markov models. IEEE ASSP Magazine, 3(1), 4–16. , & Jain, R. (1994). recursive identfication of gesture inputs using hidden Markov models. In Proceedings of the second IEEE workshop on Applications of Computer Vision (pp. 187–194). Pacific Grove, CA. , & Ishii, K. (1993). Recognizing human action in time-sequential images using hidden Markov models. Transactions of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, J76D-II(12), 2556–2563.