By David Schenker
Jordan has lengthy served as a pivot among reasonable pro-Western states and radical anti-American states within the center East. because the usa pursues a coverage of 'regime switch' in Iraq, the industrial, social, and political results on Jordan should be pervasive. during this well timed and critical paintings, David Schenker, a professional on heart jap politics, examines the advanced historic courting among Jordan and Iraq and offers ideas for U.S. coverage towards Jordan. This booklet is vital studying for students of diplomacy and U.S. coverage makers.
Read or Download Dancing with Saddam: The Strategic Tango of Jordan-Iraq Relations PDF
Similar security books
Imaging for Forensics and safety: From conception to perform presents a close research of latest imaging and development reputation concepts for the certainty and deployment of biometrics and forensic innovations. those innovations can be utilized for sensible suggestions to extend protection. the cloth features a number of the hot advances within the expertise starting from idea, layout, and implementation to functionality evaluate of biometric and forensic structures.
Learn on precipitated mutagenesis of pulses together with chickpea is much less universal in comparison to the single on cereals and henceforth the current paintings is pioneering within the box. The chickpea is among the biggest grown pulse plants in India. the writer hopes that his ebook can help to strengthen experiences on pulses, and within the long term, to lessen nutrition lack of confidence and malnutrition persisting in quite a few constructing nations
- Network Forensics: Tracking Hackers through Cyberspace
- Steal This Computer Book 4.0: What They Won't Tell You about the Internet
- Balancing Risks: Great Power Intervention in the Periphery
- Computer Forensics: Hard Disk and Operating Systems (Ec-Council Press Series : Computer Forensics)
Additional info for Dancing with Saddam: The Strategic Tango of Jordan-Iraq Relations
The difference, according to Masanveh, was Hashemite rule. These sentiments are echoed by the full spectrum of Jordanian popular opinion. ”66 Al-Amoush’s assessment was seconded by minister of labor Eid al-Fayez, of Bedouin origin, who maintained that the Iraqi people “still love and admire the Jordanian monarch” despite what happened in 1958. ”~’ Along a similar line of logic, one former Jordanian minister who traveled frequently to Iraq in the 1990s opined that Iraqis harbor a deep guilt about the slaughter of the Iraqi royals in 1958.
66. Bassam al-Amoush, interview by author, detailed notes, Amman, Jordan, October 9, 1999. 67. Eid al-Fayez, interview by author, detailed notes, Amman, Jordan, October 2, 1999. This Page Intentionally Left Blank Chapter Two Economics THE INTERPLAY BETWEEN POLITICS AND ECONOMICS Jordanians often describe their relationship with Iraq as a type of symbiosis. ” This is most important in terms of economics. The deep economic bonds between Amman and Baghdad represent a relatively new phenomenon. For much of history, the people and the lands east of the Jordan River were oriented westward.
For these reasons, the Jordanian business community is the leading institutional supporter of increasing the trade protocol as much as possible. ) These competing interests engage in an annual policy debate within the Jordanian government, with those championing higher protocols represented by the Ministry of Trade and Industry and those advocating fiscal moderation represented by those in the Central Bank of J ~ r d a n . ’ ~ JORDANIAN EXPORTS TO IRAQ As with the oil barter arrangement, the Iran-Iraq War ushered in a new era of trade relations between Jordan and Iraq.