By Vikram Chandra
The nonfiction debut from the writer of the overseas bestseller Sacred Games in regards to the superb overlap among writing and desktop coding
Vikram Chandra has been a working laptop or computer programmer for nearly so long as he has been a novelist. during this outstanding new e-book, his first paintings of nonfiction, he searches for the connections among the worlds of artwork and expertise. Coders are captivated with beauty and magnificence, simply as writers are, yet do the phrases suggest an identical factor to either? will we ascribe attractiveness to the craft of writing code?
Exploring such different issues as common sense gates and literary modernism, the machismo of tech geeks, the omnipresence of an "Indian Mafia" in Silicon Valley, and the writings of the eleventh-century Kashmiri philosopher Abhinavagupta, Geek Sublime is either an idiosyncratic historical past of coding and a desirable meditation at the writer's paintings. half literary essay, half know-how tale, and half memoir, it really is an engrossing, unique, and heady booklet of sweeping ideas.
Read or Download Geek sublime : the beauty of code, the code of beauty PDF
Similar history & culture books
To compete successfully in electronic company markets, you want to know the way the legislations impacts your electronic know-how business.
The contents contain special undeniable English company and criminal assistance on:
* highbrow estate for electronic Business
* electronic agreement Fundamentals
* Open Source
* improvement and Consulting
* software program as a Service
* software program Licensing and Distribution
* internet and net Agreements
* electronic Multimedia content material and Distribution
* IT Standards
* internet and cellular expertise and content material Deals
* game Deals
* overseas Distribution
* criminal Affairs Management
* kinds Appendix within the publication and downloadable on-line 38 pattern types for bargains and transactions and for the Web
The content material is going from the fundamentals to complex subject matters equivalent to off-shoring, anti-circumvention, open resource enterprise types, user-created content material, opposite engineering, cellular media distribution, internet and video game improvement, mash-ups, net widgets, and vastly multiplayer games.
This publication is designed to empower you to:
* comprehend the interplay among legislations, cash and technology
* receive and make the most a portfolio of IP assets
* construct and make stronger confident relationships with different companies
* Leverage your technologies
* deal with hazards in markets with many uncertainties
* Make greater offers and shut offers extra quickly
* Act extra decisively and hopefully in criminal matters
This ebook will make you a lot smarter approximately recognizing concerns, perceiving hazard, considering strategically, atmosphere priorities and utilizing criminal providers successfully and successfully. this can be the main complete layperson's ebook at the subject.
* A "need-to-know" felony better half for these competing in electronic enterprise markets within the US and round the world
* issues out the connection among felony concerns and company suggestions, wishes and goals
* in response to 15 years of felony perform in all elements of electronic, IT, software program and machine legislation
This expert memoir describes RAND's contributions to the evolution of laptop technological know-how, relatively in the course of the first a long time following global warfare II, while electronic pcs succeeded slide ideas, mechanical table calculators, electrical accounting machines, and analog pcs. The memoir comprises photos and vignettes that display the collegial, inventive, and infrequently playful spirit during which the groundbreaking examine was once carried out at RAND.
Men named Steve, operating in a storage, created a prototype machine designed to be various in a manner not anyone concept attainable: it'd be effortless to take advantage of. these Steves, one now a billionaire and nonetheless on the head of Apple, not just succeeded with that product, yet additionally they broke floor within the enterprise global in methods few inspiration attainable: They proved you couldn't basically celebrate at paintings, yet pursuing a capitalist dream can be hip.
A clean exploration of Paul's actions in the course of the hidden years of his existence, from his conversion in Damascus to his widely used ministry within the ebook of Acts. With an unparalled wealth of ancient fabric and a reconsideration of Paul's personal writings, a brand new photograph of Paul's lifestyles emerges.
- Smart Technologies and the End(s) of Law: Novel Entanglements of Law and Technology
- The Natural History of the Bible: An Environmental Exploration of the Hebrew Scriptures
- Getting Permission: How To License & Clear Copyrighted Materials Online & Off 2nd Edition
- The Boundaries of Humanity
- A Legal Theory for Autonomous Artificial Agents
Extra info for Geek sublime : the beauty of code, the code of beauty
I set up computers for elegant ladies in River Oaks and gave them word-processing lessons; I went out to factories and offices in the hinterlands of Houston to observe assembly lines and then modeled workflows and production processes. The programming I did was journeyman work; I mostly wrote CRUD applications, menu-driven screens that let the users Create, Retrieve, Update, and Delete records that tracked whatever product or service they provided: precision-engineered drill parts for high-heat applications, workers for the oil industry, reservations at restaurants.
The only American texts we were prescribed were abridged, bowdlerized editions of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. ”1 Nick Carter exuded a particularly American glamour. The riches of America gave him an endless supply of killing devices, to which he gave cool names: “Hugo,” a pearl-handled stiletto made by Benvenuto Cellini; “Pierre,” a minuscule gas bomb; and my favorite, “Tiny Tim,” a low-yield nuclear grenade. Nick Carter’s exploits with beautiful women were lingered over every thirty pages or so, in counterpoint to the killing, with a level of explicit detail that made James Bond seem fusty and prudish and, well, British.
E. money, manpower and organization) associated with a project which calls for a given amount of creative work. At one extreme is the activity of an aircraft designer, at the other that of a poet. The art of programming currently falls much closer to the former than the latter. 4 Lampson’s argument was that hardware would become so cheap that “almost everyone who uses a pencil will use a computer,” and that these users would be able to use “reliable software components” to put together complex programs.