By Michael Millgate
In a sequence of essays written in particular for this quantity, 5 exclusive critics supply more than a few ways, discussing the unconventional by way of its composition and place in Faulkner's occupation, its constitution and narrative thoughts, and its relation to the non secular, racial, and sexual assumptions of the society it represents.
Read or Download New Essays on Light in August (The American Novel) PDF
Best criticism & theory books
Jacques Derrida is likely one of the most renowned eu thinker alive this present day. The collage of Nebraska Press makes on hand for the 1st English translation of his most vital paintings so far, Glas. Its visual appeal will help Derrida's readers professional and con in coming to phrases with a posh and controversial book.
Axes strains the intimate dating among the texts released by way of Willa Cather and William Faulkner among 1922 and 1962. while these texts are juxtaposed and tested conscientiously, the 2 writers look intensely aware of, and conscious of, every one other’s paintings. in truth, either sooner or later seem to have caricatured or parodied the opposite in print.
Psyche and the Literary Muses makes a speciality of the psychology of literature from an empirical perspective, instead of the extra commonplace psychoanalytic place, and concentrates on literary content material instead of readers or writers. The e-book facilities at the author’s quantitative stories of short literary and quasi-literary varieties, starting from titles of brief tales and names of literary characters to clichés and quotations from literary assets, in demonstrating their contribution to the themes of studying, notion, considering, feelings, creativity, and particularly individual notion and getting older.
- A fucked up life in books
- Renaissance Literature and Culture
- Handbook of narratology
- Enter, mysterious stranger: American cloistral fiction
- History of Semiotics (Foundations of Semiotics)
- Constructions of 'the Jew' in English Literature and Society: Racial Representations, 1875-1945
Additional resources for New Essays on Light in August (The American Novel)
26 Introduction 18. Lion in the Garden: Interviews with William Faulkner 1926-1962, ed. James B. Meriwether and Michael Millgate (New York: Random House, 1968), p. 17. 19. , pp. 23, 24. 20. See William Faulkner, ''Light in August: A Manuscript Fragment," ed. Deborah Thompson, Mississippi Quarterly 32 (Summer 1979): 4 7 7 80; Carl Petersen, On the Track of the Dixie Limited: Further Notes of a Faulkner Collector (LaGrange, Illinois: Colophon Book Shop, 1979), p. , Selected Letters, p. 59. 21. , Selected Letters, p.
49. The Novels of William Faulkner (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1959), pp. 67, 68; a revised edition appeared in 1964. 50. : Yale University Press, 1963), pp. 53, 52; see also his introduction to the 1967 Modern Library paperback reissue of Light in August and his discussion of the novel's chronology in William Faulkner: Toward Yok- 28 Introduction 51. 52. 53. 54. : Yale University Press, 1978), pp. 426-9. "Brooks on Faulkner: The End of the Long View," Review 1 (1979): 29-45.
74. 10. Regina K. Fadiman, Faulkner's "Light in August": A Description and Interpretation of the Revisions (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1975), pp. 33-4. 11. "An Introduction for The Sound and the Fury," 709. 12. Carl F. W. D. , University of South Carolina, 1972) that the Texas fragment could have been the intended opening of a short story (p. 272); he also suggests that another fragment at Texas, dealing with Joe Christmas's giving himself up, could also have been a trial opening for a story or novel (p.